Wednesday, January 5, 2011

November 13, 2007

Church yard showing wall and out house in the left
November 13, 2007
We started the morning with an authentic breakfast at the hotel.  We packed our lunches of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, ham and turkey, and we were off to the job site.
First stop was the hardware store.  Marco picked up a trowel and some metal buckets at about $1.50 each to mix concrete.  Millie and I bought glue, ribbon, and a plastic container.  We plan to figure out how to make a Christmas ornament with the children for the church.  We then stop for our water cooler fill up.  We go through the city market and shop for bananas, $2.00 for two bags of oranges. 
We arrived at the job site to find that the sand was delivered and we could begin to start laying block.  There was a young lady on the jobsite filling the mortar in and I buddied up with her so that I could learn a new trade.  I got Marco to tell her that she was my boss, and she smiled a smile I will never forget!
I followed her to the well which was located down the hill and helped her to carry water.  The jug she filled weighed about 40 pounds; she usually carried it by herself!  One of her jobs was to keep the 55 gallon barrel filled to use for the mortar.  At the well site there was a sink where a lady was washing dishes.  I helped there for a while, laughing and trying to communicate.  One thing that is the same everywhere is laughter!  I then helped the lady give her 2 year old little boy a bath.  He cried and fought the bath the whole time.  I tried to make bubbles with the tiny piece of soap.  The rest of the day my little buddy would not even look at me! 
J.J. and Millie learned to lay block.  They both worked very hard.  So now J.J. can not only be a great van driver, Speed Dog we call him, he also is our Tech man.  I can hardly wait to see the DVD he is going to put together using all our memory sticks.
The guys finished getting 3 big boulders out of the church court yard using a wooden stick as a pry bar.  We had lunch together in the church.  Thankfully the children were not there at that time to watch us eat.
After lunch Marco took some video of the jobsite.  He then followed the children around a little bit.  The fun part was watching Marco show the children the video.  The children and I of course giggled together!  I love the way we all give each other happiness!!  Marco took some of us to the village where there was electricity.  I now understand why Puente Azul is the forgotten community. 
Thank you all for being a loving, giving church family.  I am sure the new friends we have made will never forget us as we will never forget them.  My cup is running over. 
For supper we called Pizza Hut and all enjoyed an easy American supper.  Some of us stayed up and enjoyed our new friendship with Darryl.
Thanks again for all the opportunities you have given me and everyone else in this group.  Marco and Ailsa are forever in my heart! ---Faye Hodges

No comments:

Post a Comment