Wednesday, January 5, 2011

November 21, 2010



Bill and LuAnn
setting up meds in Esperanza y Fe
Sunday, November 21, 2010


Casa Concordia

As I write this
entry people are relaxing around Casa Concordia.  Most everyone is packed and waiting for our departure.  As this group is full of introverts, some people are reading.  Others are journaling, crocheting, or blogging on their laptops.  This group of people worked very well together.  We worked very efficiently in the clinics.  There was minimal drama, if any.  Decisions were made quickly.  I am very grateful that I was given the opportunity to serve in El Salvador again.  I enjoyed working triage with Kathy Jordan.  She helped me improve my Spanish by leaps and bounds.  The most important lesson I learned this week, however, was about generosity.

Several people have displayed amazing examples of generosity that have moved me to examine my own sense of generosity and faith.  Kiké, Nelson, Glenda, and Ricardo feed the homeless on a weekly basis using their own money, kitchens, and time.  For us the food was very inexpensive.  But I am positive that Kiké and friends make quite a sacrifice to buy the food.  How many of us would be willing to shop for food, cook for 100+ people, load it in our vans at 9:00pm on a Saturday night, and drive to downtown Wilmington/Indianapolis to serve the homeless?  They are a wonderful example of Christ’s love in action. 

Marco was another example of generosity.  I’ve heard many stories about how he used his own money to help people in El Salvador with medical care, food, and other problems.  Every time we’d buy fruit from a vendor, he would add an extra dollar and tell them to keep the change.  Marco has a deep understanding of how blessed we are in the U.S. and how little people have in El Salvador.  I hope that I can take these lessons back to my daily life and continue to nurture this new understanding of God’s grace.

Grace and Peace,
Bill Reinger
 

No comments:

Post a Comment