Sunday, January 2, 2011

November 9, 2007

A day that will live on in hilarity.  Make sure your passport is always i close to mint condition!  Raleigh was okay with my slightly damaged passport.  Houseton was adamant.  No!  I was embarrassed.  All the nagging I had done to everyone else to get things done and my passport would not cut the mustard.  I thought the ticket agent was joking.  I gave Marco the cash I had for trip expenses, the van rental info and watched our people get on the plane.  They booked me for a 5:00 flight in case I could get a new passport in 8 hours.  With the propert number and Marco's and Marti's cell phones (in case one battery died) I started calling.  I set up a 10:30 appointment and hailed a cab.  My cab driver was sympathetic to my plight but did not reduce the $50 fare.

Fortunately, Houston is a national passport center.  I arrived, filled out the paper work, turned in my damaged passport, got my picture taken and was told to come back about 2:00pm.  With a few hours to kill, I started walking around looking for a place to have coffee and later, lunch.  After about 8 or 9 blocks, I discovered the downtown mall.  I was hot, and ready for the cool air.  The food court was nice.  I had some lunch and rested my tired feet.  When I left I rode the light rail back (I discovered this as I arrived at the mall by foot).  Not familiar with the city, lo and behold, there was a  Starbucks next door to the passport center!  I had walked out of the opposite side of the building!  Oh well, I guess it did kill some time.  Upon arrival it was about 1:00.  The passport was not ready.

By the way, Charlie and Marti's daughter called on her phone.  I had to tell her what happened.  She was sympathetic.

I sat and waited and about 2:30 they called my name.  I could not believe I got a new passport in about 4 hours.  They were not sympathetic to my plight and asked for $115.00 for the new passport.

Well, I happily exited the building looking for a cab.  The ride to the airport filled my spirit with gratitude as I knew I would be back with our group in a few hours.

The airport was a little quiet and the group on the plane small.  We arrived in El Salvador at about 8:00 that night.  It was a great relief to see Marco and Jeremiah waiting as I came through customs.  They just waved me through - I had sent my luggage ahead with our group.

I definitely learned my lesson.  I take good care of my passport.  I will not leave it in my pocket and let it get washed again.  FCC also has a good, funny story to tell about their preacher who almost got sent home from the mission trip.

Lance

No comments:

Post a Comment