Wednesday, January 5, 2011

November 17, 2010








Dale, LuAnn, and Scott in pharmacy
Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Can’t believe it is Wednesday already.  Knew as the week went on things would go quickly.

Up at 6am, breakfast buffet at 7am.  Packed up our sack lunches and headed out to Puente Azul.

Getting used to the ride, but not sure if I will ever get used to the beauty of the sugar cane.  Tall, majestic, rising high in the field with beautiful tassels on the top.  We passed a river with women doing laundry on the rocks.  OK – WOW!  Another moment of appreciation!  Even if it is only for a washing machine.  It’s humbling how I often complain of loads of laundry at home.  What about the mothers that 5, 6, 7 children here and are doing laundry by hand – over rocks – beside the river? 

Got to the church at Puente Azul and set up quickly for the clinic.  After patients check in at the entrance to the church, they see the doctor.  Then they go back outside and around to the back door to visit the pharmacy.

Why are pharmacies always delegated to the back of drugstores or basements of hospitals?  Being a pharmacist, I always wondered…


Children at back door to "pharmacy"
Veronia and baby sister
Well, let me tell you – I happen to LOVE my little back door pharmacy here!!  The back door has seemed to become a gathering place for the children – Miguel, Ricardo, William, Everett, Veronica, Priscilla, etc….  I can always look up and see 4, 5, 6 faces standing at the door looking in.  They know they are not allowed to come in but they follow the rules and stand patiently at the door hoping for a smile from Scott, Dale, or me.

Migues
Priscilla

We saw 49 patients by lunch.  After lunch half of our group took 3 people from the village into town for a trip to the hospital.  I was not in that group but it sounds like it was a successful trip.

The other half of us stayed at the church and played with the children.  Actually, I became photographer; I loved getting photos of the children drawing, playing with play-doh, making and flying paper airplanes, playing soccer, and other games.  It was a fun and enjoyable afternoon.

Dinner again at Ban’s followed by worship in the hotel lobby.  I am really looking forward to going back to Puente Azul tomorrow to see our new friends one more time.

LuAnn Robertson, Lebanon, IN

No comments:

Post a Comment